By Irina Kuznetsova and Karim Raimbekov –
1/2 cup of soaked brown rice
1/2 cup of soaked mung beans
1 lb of red or white cabbage
2 to 3 bay leaves
1 to 2 teaspoons avocado oil
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 sprigs fresh mint
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup cranberries
1/4 cup mulberries
1/4 cup pistacchio
1 acorn squash
Love and Gratitude
The rice, mung beans, the cabbage, and the acorn squash are cooked separately first, but you can start them all at the same time.
- Boil soaked rice, adding twice as much water, for 45 minutes.
- Boil soaked mung beans in twice as much water for 45 minutes. Add bayleaf to the pot along with the mung beans.
- Cut your organic acorn squash lengthwise in half, take the seeds out, smother with avocado oil (optional) or vegetable stock and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Sautee the cabbage with a bit of avocado oil, black pepper, mint, thyme, sea salt for about 25 minutes, with lid on. Stir frequently.
- Combine the cooked rice, mung beans, cabbage, the nuts and the berries and let chill.
- Spoon the stuffing into the baked acorn squash halves and bake another 15 minutes.
Serve with your favorite greens for a perfect balance and cranberry sauce.
8 oz fresh cranberries
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup water
Zest of 1 orange
Combine cranberries, maple syrup and water in a small pot, bring to a boil, reduce the flame. Cook for 20 minutes, remove from the heat and mix in the orange zest. Chill before serving.
Irina Kuznetsova and Karim Raimbekov, wife and husband, opened the Purple Sprout Cafe and Juice Bar three years ago. It has truly become a community wellness center where people can get healthy conscious plant-based food, information about healthy living, attend seminars and cooking classes, receive nutritional/Ayurvedic consultations and buy natural living products. Right now, you can also pre-order Festive Healthy Organic Vegan Thanksgiving Meals. Visit Purple Sprout Cafe and Juice Bar at 341 E. Dundee Rd. Wheeling, IL 60090. Call 224-223-7133 or visit www.purplesprout.com.